Is Mumbai's humidity damaging your sole? Shoe Repair in Mumbai
Yes, humidity can potentially contribute to the separation of a sole from the upper part of the shoe. Humidity can indirectly affect the adhesive used in shoe construction, leading to sole separation in the following ways:
1) Weakening Adhesive: Humidity and moisture can weaken the adhesive used to bond the sole to the upper part of the shoe. If the adhesive is not water-resistant or if the shoes are exposed to prolonged and repeated moisture, the adhesive's integrity can be compromised.
2) Mold and Mildew Growth: High humidity levels can create conditions conducive to mold and mildew growth inside shoes. This can lead to the deterioration of materials, including the adhesive, which can contribute to sole separation.
3) Swelling and Shrinking of Materials: Leather, in particular, is susceptible to swelling and shrinking in response to changes in humidity. This can place stress on the bond between the sole and the upper part of the shoe, potentially causing it to weaken and fail over time.
To mitigate the effects of humidity on your shoes and reduce the risk of sole separation, consider the following tips:
1) Store Shoes Properly: Ensure your shoes are stored in a cool, dry place when not in use. Use shoe trees or shoe shapers to maintain their shape and allow them to air out.
2) Keep Shoes Dry: If your shoes become wet, allow them to dry naturally at room temperature. Avoid exposing them to excessive heat sources like radiators or direct sunlight, as extreme drying can also affect the adhesives.
3) Use Waterproofing Products: Apply waterproof or water-resistant sprays or waxes to protect your shoes from moisture. These products can help repel water and maintain the integrity of the adhesive.
4)Rotate Your Shoes: Giving your shoes time to air out between wearings can help reduce the effects of moisture and humidity.